EF 28-70 f2.8L - the old one?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,236
EF 28-70 f2.8L - the old one?

I've got a curiosity to give this old lens a try. I have a Tokina 24-70 2.8 right now, and while it's actually a very good lens, I just don't get on with it that well. Feels clunky in use, the AF isn't that fast, seems to suck in more dust every time I look at it, etc. Just not a lens I actually enjoy shooting that much, even though it delivers pretty great results. I actually bought the Tokina partially based on reviews that at the time ranked it higher than almost every 24-70 made, including the Canon 24-70 II. Like I said, this Tokina is damn sharp and I like the rendering. I like the image quality, just not much else about this lens.

So I'm thinking of side-stepping and trying this old L for the fun of it. Looking at getting one from Japan on ebay. Yeah, I know the pitfalls of these old, discontinued lenses: limited to no repair options and all that stuff. That doesn't concern me here. This is a lens that sees limited use for me, and if it dies a sudden death, so be it. I don't use 24-70 zooms enough to justify a used 24-70 II.

What I am curious to know is how this lens holds up on newer sensors? The reviews I can find online are at least a decade old and test on old crop bodies or at best, maybe a 1Ds. I've read more than 1 report of users preferring it over the 24-70 v1??? How well does it do on say, a 5D4? Or even a 5Ds/R5? Can I expect decent sharpness across the frame by f8, hopefully a tad better than I get from a 24-105L v1? Soft corners at f2.8 don't concern me.

I'm not expecting miracles from this lens, but I'd also rather not waste the time and money if it's going to underperform here. It will be used on a 5D4 and a R5 that is arriving next week. By the limited reviews I can find, it seems like it's a winner in the optical department.

Anything to be aware of such as coating deterioration or similar?  Assuming I find one in good condition with no issues, is there any reason not to expect it to work just fine for years to come?

Anybody still using this old dinosaur that can chime in?

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +12 more
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS-1Ds Sony 24-70mm F2.8 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow