Next steps from a D3300 - airshow photography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
willcave New Member • Posts: 2
Next steps from a D3300 - airshow photography

Hello all,

I have had a D3300 since 2016 and I am now looking to upgrade it (staying crop sensor). Its been great fun and a good body to learn the basics on - but it is a fairly basic bit of kit. My main interests is airshow photography but I also like taking my camera walkabout in the country. Something I have tried a bit of but run into (I think) camera (and lens) limitations, is astro photography.

I've got 5 lenses currently, all fairly budget. My go to for airshows is my Sigma 120-400 - which I've found out is not compatible with the FTZ adaptor (so mirrorless is not in scope at the moment). If I'm out walking with only 1 lens I'd probably take the tamron 70-300, good reach and macro, for wider stuff I'd use my phone (philistine).

I am looking for something with improved AF for tracking shots, mirror lockup to help with astro and (a bit vaguely) something with more functionality - to help continue my learning progress.

I think that D500 would be the ultimate, but even second hand is a bit on the dear side for me. In the spirit of get the cheapest body that will serve my needs and plow the rest into lenses. What would people recommend between D5XXX and D7XXX bodies?

Shameless plug of my photos on flickr, for the sort of stuff I like to shoot:

Wills Cave | Flickr

Thanks for looking

Will

willcave's gear list:willcave's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG HSM +1 more
Nikon D3300 Nikon D5600 Nikon D7200 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow