Nikon 200-500 5.6 Silent Wave Motor failure

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dan312 New Member • Posts: 4
Nikon 200-500 5.6 Silent Wave Motor failure

Hello,

Has anyone had any experience with the SWM failing on the Nikon 200-500? Yesterday I was trying to focus on a subject (at infinity), the AF hunted for a split second, and then just stopped working…

I have had the lens for a few years now (Serial No.: 2015036) and never had any problems or noise from the SWM. VR still engaging and working, and manual focus is fine. When half pressing the back- button there is a weak- squeaky noise.

The lens contacts are clean, and both cameras (D850 and D500) are working with other AF-S lenses.

I have used the lens quite moderately, but I’m guessing this could just be normal wear? (as this is a relatively early copy of the lens)

Has anyone here had a similar experience? and if so- did you have the SWM replaced?

There is no official Nikon service where I live, but I'll probably take the lens to a lab and get a quote for a repair (if possible). before doing so I would be happy to get a general idea about the cost, and function of the lens after the SWM was replaced.

Would greatly appreciate any info.

Best,

Daniel

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow