Looking for an Astrophotography Lens

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Falcon04 New Member • Posts: 21
Looking for an Astrophotography Lens

After a recent trip to Arizona and experiencing the amazing night skies, I'm in the market for a lens that I can use for Milky Way (MW) shots. Before I get to the lens I'm considering, let me start with what I have:

Camera: E-M10 Mark II

Lens: Oly 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 40-150 f/4-5.6; Pan 12-60; Pan 20 f/1.7 II

My only real option at present is the Pan 20 f/1.7, but when I used it down in AZ, while it did the job and captured the MW, I found the field of view a little narrow. I'd like to go wider, and wish that the Pan 12-60 didn't start at f/3.5.

Ideally, I'd like to stay under $450 for a lens. I'd love to get an Oly 12-40 F/2.8 or the Pan 12-35 f/2.8, but the least expensive used I've seen is pushing closer to the $650-700 range for a good copy of it (If I found a killer deal for less, I'd likely jump to that route due to their versatility). So onto the options I'm considering

Option 1: Used Oly 12mm f/2 - $440 (new is $699 at present)

Option 2: New Rokinon 12mm f/2 - $329

Option 3: New Rokinon 10mm f/2.8 - $348

I've not had any experience with the above three lenses, so any advice you all can offer would be greatly appreciated. If there is another lens I should look at, please let me know.

I'm planning to participate in a local MW photography workshop later this summer, but I'd like to acquire the lens sooner so that I can get familiar with it prior to that.

Thanks.

Keith

Falcon04's gear list:Falcon04's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow