Help spec and narrow down desktop - UK

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,507
Help spec and narrow down desktop - UK

Having had laptops/notebooks for the past 20yrs I now have a study to myself and no longer regularly travel.

My notebook is a 2010 HP Elitebook 8440p, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M 640 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz, 8Gb RAM, 2Gb hard drive and Win10 Pro 64bit.  I have it dual booting Win10 (200Gb),  Linux (800Gb) with a shared partition for data (1Tb).  The machine is workable for my needs but is ageing and the internal sound card (mic input) has developed a noise, not good for zoom though fortunately I have an external USB sound card.  I guess I can expect other things to start deteriorating and I'll be sorry to see it go.

I find the whole range of desktop/tower offerings a bit bewildering.  I'm well retired so this next purchase may well be my last if I buy new.

Ideally I'd like flexibility with drives possibly 3 with 2Tb at least for data storage.  8Gb RAM is I think a bit limiting though I've only had memory compression once.  Canon's DPP4 is slow (it may be anyway).  I don't use any other heavy photo software though I threaten to learn Gimp.  Very occasional bits of video editing.

I do like connectivity - obviously wireless but I do sometimes run an ethernet cable to the router, I still have occasional use of Firewire, a stack of CD/DVD software, will need a webcam and likely a new good quality display unit bearing in mind I don't need an overkill for photo work.  I have a stack of SD cards as well as USB sticks and drives.

I've more room under the desk than on the desk so a tower would seem sensible.  I can swap components myself if the principles remain the same as they were 20yrs ago!

Budget wise I guess I'm expecting to pay £500+ excluding display.  I would hope to use the existing 2Tb drive and I've got a 1Tb drive ex this laptop sitting around.  Do towers come with spare/additional drive bays?  Is there any major benefit in sticking with the Pro version of Win10 (there are a couple of machines which form a small LAN).

I do have a 15" CRT monitor and a 1280x1024 Samsung Syncmaster 720n LCD display spare though I guess only the latter may be of use as a dual monitor if the desktop supported such a thing.  Not sure what I should be getting in this area.  Something that is easier to read as my eyes deteriorate would be nice.

I'll stop at that and respond to thoughts as they arise.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow