Further adventures with wildlife photography and Panasonic S5

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jsake
Jsake Regular Member • Posts: 122
Further adventures with wildlife photography and Panasonic S5

Hello L mount forum, I’ve posted some of my previous experiences before, but today I got to do some more testing of the Panasonic animal detect AF.

Camera: Panasonic LUMIX S5

Lens: Sigma 100-400 f5-f6.3 DG DN

Image captured using single point AF with animal detect enabled

In this scenario I was trying to photograph very small birds in quite a heavily wooded area. Using the oval AF area as I did for birds in flight didn’t work so well, as it would catch onto small branches, twigs, leaves etc. First I switched to centre point AF using a small square, which was better but still difficult to land dead on the bird. So staying in the same mode with the small square I enabled the animal detect feature. According to the manual this should look for animals around the focus point and fall back to the square if it can’t find any. It seemed to work as intended, drawing the orange box around the bird as it flitted about, even when I’d not quite got the centre AF point on the bird.

Tits

For most of the time I was out, I used electronic shutter in silent mode shooting bursts in the high setting. The S5 does have a bit of rolling shutter but it doesn’t really cause any issues unless your panning particularly fast. So mechanical is still probably better if your trying to track a moving subject in AFC and burst mode over a larger distance. But you can’t beat role playing as special forces, creeping through the woods with a completely silent camera

also of note, I took about 328 photos over a 2 to 3 hour period, mostly silent mode, and the S5 battery was only about 40% drained.

Jsake's gear list:Jsake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow