Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Wingsfan
Wingsfan Contributing Member • Posts: 517
Re: Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

It will be very interesting to see where things go from here. A few years back there was an incredible period of innovation in the m43 segment.

I love the format and I doubt I will be changing anytime in the next 5 to 10 years, even if the whole thing goes away, but I wonder what's going to happen now.  Is the sensor limited size wise, for 8K?  And what about significantly larger megapixel counts?  Personally I don't need anything more than 20MP, and I've never needed more than the system could provide, but there are people out there that need to push it much more than I do.

And at what point does a pixel become so small, that even with newer sensor innovations, there is a point where it just can't compete with a somewhat larger sensor? FF has become cost competitive for an amateur now, versus being priced out a few years ago.

I don't believe the format is dead. I am not concerned about my equipment, even if the system does go away. But these are some realistic concerns people may have about getting into the system or expanding the m43 system that they may already have.

As my oldest is off to school soon, I won't be taking swim team pictures any longer, which was really the only thing I had to push the system for, so any innovations moving ahead won't be that important to me, but I think they will be for the M43 segment in general..

Wingsfan's gear list:Wingsfan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon Coolpix 4100 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon Coolpix S9100 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow