Sony 24-105g vs Sigma 24-70 2.8

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SenorBeef Regular Member • Posts: 294
Sony 24-105g vs Sigma 24-70 2.8

I know this discussion has come up before, but I was hoping maybe I'd get some more insight, especially if someone has had time to use both lenses or look at pictures with both lenses.

So the differences are obvious - sony has a little extra reach, OSS. Sigma has a stop more light. Sony is much lighter (it felt more balanced on the A7r IV I played with on the camera store, the sigma is more front heavy. They both seem like they have good build quality.

To be clear - the Sigma 24-70 2.8 people talk about is the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN Art lens for around $1050, right? I know there's more than 24-70 lens, so I want to make sure I get the right one.

Which takes the best pictures? In some sample pictures I saw using the same settings it seemed like the sigma might have had more saturated colors and maybe a tad sharper. Does one have the subjective things people like about lenses that make it take more pleasant pictures compared to the other?

How much does OSS matter? I saw videos demonstrating OSS on and off, but when you switch OSS off on the lens it also disables the in-camera stabilization too, so it's not a really fair comparison. It makes the difference much more dramatic than it actually is. Sigma 24-70 still benefits from the body's IBIS. So how much does the extra functionality of having both the lens OSS and in-body IBIS combined have compared to just using the IBIS? Are we talking about a significant difference?

I've heard the sigma sucks in dust. Is that a problem?
Is one better weather sealed/more rugged than the other?

I think sensors have become so good that F4 is fine for light gathering purposes - you can crank the ISO up a stop in most circumstances. But does the 2.8 of the Sigma result in better subject separation and bokeh?

What about autofocus? Is one faster or more accurate than the other?

Sigma's min focus distance seems to be about half the Sony. Is it useful for light semi-macro work like closeups of flowers?

I shoot about 70% landscapes, 10% portraits, 20% action of some sort or another. This will be my only lens on an a7 III for a while. I will probably get the 20 1.8 and some sort of zoom - maybe a 70-180 or 100-400 type lens down the road.

SenorBeef's gear list:SenorBeef's gear list
Pentax K-70
Sony a7 III Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow