Nikon Z5 Down the line

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,123
Re: Nikon Z5 Down the line

CamDude202 wrote:

Hello all, i just wanted to ask a quick and brief question or two solely opinion based.

I recently purchased a Z5 and after doing some comparisons of spec sheets with the

z6 it really brings the questions of, is the z5 being held back by its firmware? and

do you think the future firmware updates will unlock features like the 1.7 crop and 1080p 120 fps? from what ive seen, the only hardware disadvantages between the z5 and z6 is the back lit sensor, .2 megapixels, and screen dots... so the z5 is obviously being firmware locked so that you purchase a z6 or higher!

After the latest firmware update on the Z5, the AF is much improved... basically acts like my other Z cameras now.

It is held back by some of its features, like 4 fps burst, and the 4k video crop (if you shoot video, I don't myself so I don't care about that part myself personally).

I doubt that Nikon will "unlock" the camera via firmware and I doubt that any sort of hack would come along.  If those features concern you, then get a gen 1 Z6 body.  It may be worth the extra $300-400 to people who shoot video.  But it's very unlikely Nikon will "ungimp" a camera via firmware or everyone would buy a Z5 and modify it so it acts and works like a Z6 and nobody would buy a Z6.

As far as BSI sensor, the FSI in the Z5 is still very good.  The benefits I think of the BSI is it can retain more shadows detail but I think this is visible really only upon closer inspection, plus BSI sensors I think can get cleaner images at high ISO (but I believe only by a small margin, not a huge amount, maybe 1/3 or 1/2 stop).  I've been shooting my Z5 up to ISO 3200 and 6400 without any major noise penalties, yet my Z7's due to their pixel density, but having a BSI sensor, fare a bit worse (ISO 1600 on the Z7 is similarto  about ISO 6400 on the Z5).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow