Casual video with Fuji: how minimal can it be?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoshuaRothman Forum Member • Posts: 99
Casual video with Fuji: how minimal can it be?

Now that my toddler son is talking up a storm and generally being hilarious, I've been wanting to make some home videos. Nothing hyper-professional—just little video snapshots, here and there, that I could chain together into a casual family movie at the end of each season. (Like, this was our summer of 2021.) I own an X-Pro3, and I've played around with using it for video, but it doesn't seem like a good fit—I've found it really hard to manage the settings when I switch into video mode, and, since I own no lenses with OIS, my video is jittery. So I'm contemplating selling some of my least-used gear and picking up a used X-T4, with its stills/movie switch.

I do a lot of my photography while chasing a two-year-old around outside, and I often go out with no bag—just one lens on the camera and possibly another in my pocket. I have trouble seeing myself popping a shotgun mic into the hot shoe in the middle of all that, or managing too much gear. What I'm after is a minimal setup that will let me take video super-quickly using the camera and lens I have with me, then go back to photos. Here's what I'm envisioning. I wonder if some of you could reality-check me—would an approach like this work?

• Shoot without an external mic most of the time and just accept lower audio quality. (For special occasions, I could add a mic.)
  • Use AF with a linear-motor lens, such as the 16-55 or 18 1.4...
  • ... or use other primes, but zone focus manually, at f8 or thereabouts, to eliminate AF motor noise.
  • Use the Manfrotto magnet system to quickly put on an ND, then remove it. (I'm imagining that I could keep the ND in a filter case in my pocket.)

I've watched a lot of YouTube videos about shooting video with Fuji, but the ones I've seen seem to be aimed at someone with more ambitious goals than mine. I'm not vlogging or trying to be a filmmaker. My dream scenario is something like: I'm on the beach with my family shooting photos; I flip the stills / movie switch and snap on an ND filter; I take a minute or two of video, maybe in AF, maybe zone focusing; then I take off the filter, flip the switch, and go back to photos.

I'm a total video newbie. Am I on the right track or is it more complicated than I realize?

JoshuaRothman's gear list:JoshuaRothman's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow