Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,656
Re: Would be good to verify the claims...

Raist3d wrote:

victorav wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Why would they bother making all products very recyclable? Why would they bother investing money to get renewable energy sources? Why they would force suppliers to follow in this area? The easiest would be to not do any of those things.

Very recyclable? If they truely cared about that, the "right to repair" movement would not be a thing.

Yes, very recyclable. Look at the materials they use on components.

Also this is not something only Apple is guilty of. The process of obtaining raw materials used in phones and computers is very environmentally harmful and offsets any "green" initiatives.

Thus, a good thing they make their devices very recyclable. They also recycle things.

Not only this but some of the things Apple has done, like getting rid of the charger with some products actually ends up creating more waste.

How so? The idea is to re-use chargers many people have.

They were very easy to recycle actually.

Not to mention everyone one uses plastic in their packaging which almost always ends up in landfills, or the ocean.

Which is why they are using a new packaging for iPhone 12 which is very recyclable. Also iPhone 12is the first smartphone with 100% recyclable rare elements in all magnets.

Yes this these are really nice baby steps that do little to off set the damage that is being done. If you notice Apple is not 100% specific on these things. That is because even if they get to a point of 90% recovery it may not be enough to offset demand. Apple wants you to buy a new iPhone every year. They want to expand marketshare.

A lot of e waste is still shredded, and yes even by Apple, which makes it harder to recycle.

And I also believe you don't really understand supply chain. There is packaging on top of what Apple does.

Yes Apple is trying, unfortunately a lot of this info is coming from Apple not independent environmental assessments. Which I gaurentee you would be less forgiving.

The difference is some companies are not pretending to be green. But Apple is not the only one guilty of pretending.

You should read what they have done over time to go more green. It's out there- look it up. Things they didn't have to do because they would have saved more money at least initially.

I mean, why bother doing this?

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-is-helping-launch-a-200-million-fund-to-restore-forests/

Yes let's all sing and dance while turning a blind eye to the amount of work that must be done before companies can claim to be green.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow