35GM+135GM >= 24-70GM+70-200GM (!?)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Beatsy
Beatsy Senior Member • Posts: 1,033
35GM+135GM >= 24-70GM+70-200GM (!?)

It's crept up on me, but I just realised I choose 35GM (on A7riv) paired with 135GM (on A7rii or A9) in every two-body situation where I'd have only chosen the two GM zooms in the past. Every single time now!

There's poor coverage at the short end of the range, zoom-with-feet from 35 to 24mm can be tricky.  But a quick 4-shot pano with the 35GM covers that if really needed. It's easy to swing the 35 around its no-parallax point (handheld) but if I expected a lot of wide-angle shooting I'd tuck another small, wide prime in the bag anyway.

Cropability of the A7riv sensor coupled with the insane resolving power of the two GM primes is the main factor making this viable (for me), but I am really surprised at *how* viable in practice! I genuinely don't miss zooming for composition (my legs work fine and cropping does the rest) while better IQ and fast apertures are excellent consolation for the loss of convenient zooming.

I saw comments in the past from a few people who prefer a 35/135 prime pairing but always figured it wouldn't work for me and moved on. Yet here I am, all of a sudden realising that I'm doing *exactly* that - and liking it lots!

There may be no going back - especially after an A1 joins the A7riv in that mix!

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +16 more
Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow