Autofocus Mirror/Cat Lens with Adapter: Worth Trying?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xaprb Forum Member • Posts: 59
Autofocus Mirror/Cat Lens with Adapter: Worth Trying?

I’m curious if anyone has stacked a manual-focus mirror/catadioptric/reflex lens onto an autofocus adapter like one of the Leica M-mount to Sony E-mount adapters, and how it works.

Theoretically, I think a lot of the cat lenses need to focus by moving elements relative to each other, but in practice I wonder how well it’d work to move the whole lens.

The other thing I’m curious about is focusing near infinity. That’s where it seems to get really difficult with the cat lenses, because the adjustments need to be so delicate. Do these autofocus adapters have the precision required for that?

Speaking of that, I think the close-focus range is often quite a range of movement; maybe the adapters don’t have the travel required for that. Can they be set to limit to focus from, say, 50m to infinity? Then you could set the lens to inifinity and let the adapter twitch back and forth a tiny bit.

I don’t have one of these adapters, so this is all theoretical for me, but something I’m interested in. If it seems promising, or if someone has experience or could test this, I’d love to know how it works. I could also get one of those adapters and try it myself if that doesn’t seem like a fool’s errand.

xaprb's gear list:xaprb's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow