Voigtlander 50 APO Lanthar on M9

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bernstein1234 New Member • Posts: 11
Voigtlander 50 APO Lanthar on M9

After reading up https://jacktaka.com/voigtlander-50mm-f2, I wanted to give this lens a try. I had previously owned a Leica 50 APO and admit it is the best lens I owned, but as a hobbyist I could not justify owning that lens, hence I sold it last year. Since then I’d been shooting with the 35 FLE. Although that itself is a magical lens, I was very curious and excited about the Voigtlander 50 APO.

Placed an order on eBay Monday and it came yesterday (much to my surprise the speed of delivery). First impressions is that the aperture ring is different from Leica - the rotation is smooth yet assuring, there is very Low chance of over clicking the aperture. Focusing ring is buttery smooth though I’d have like it to have more resistance, but not a big deal for me.

Image quality, it’s quite hard to tell apart from the Leica version! Even at f2, there are plenty of details. The only difference I think is that Leica APO is able to separate the subject from the background in a natural way - the falloff is so natural that it resembles what our eyes can see. Nevertheless, this Voigtlander is no slouch. I’ve tested a couple of shots and I am very pleased with the results. They are certainly not 1/7 of Leica APO standards. It is in fact, very close, almost indistinguishable. I will definitely keep this lens as long as possible.

F2

F2

F8

F2, look at the details

F2

The subject separation is still obvious even though I shot this about a couple of meters away.

The vignetting. Uncorrected on M9.

F8: The details

F2 in mixed contrast situation, still able to dra out details using Shadow Recovery in LR.

bernstein1234's gear list:bernstein1234's gear list
Leica X (Typ 113)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow