Woodpeckers...300 and 100-400 at high ISO

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
J4Hug Senior Member • Posts: 1,383
Woodpeckers...300 and 100-400 at high ISO

I have been having fun with some Greater Spotted Woodpeckers in my local wood.

They are not always active in the best light so am using ISO 3200 or 4000 and the TC1.4 with either the 100-400 or f4 300. In low light, the 100-400 struggles a bit and I have switched to the 300, actually when you know where thy will be a fixed prime is probably better. I do use a tripod but that is only because it keeps the focus where I want it.

In good light, the 100-400 is IMO excellent for a relatively affordable lens.

What has amazed me is how well the EM1x copes with the high ISO … but a game-changer for me has been Topaz Sharpener and DeNoise. I probably overdo the effects and I know printing large may not be an option as all are about 100% crops but Topaz certainly saves many images.

All my processing before and sometimes after is in Lightroom.

Sorry they are all similar in pose and I know 'less is more' but I am happy with them!

Just waiting for the chick to appear which will probably be next week.

C& C welcome

More if you are desperate at https://agbr.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds/Woodie-the-Woodpecker/

J4Hug's gear list:J4Hug's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow