Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
RecklessCoding Regular Member • Posts: 407
Re: You probably never dealt with Apple as a soft. dev...

Funny Valentine wrote:

Since the launch of Olympus em1.3, the so called flagship camera, Olympus/OMDS hasn't given Apple the RAW support of the em1.3. The software engineering department of Olympus must be completely shut down.

All the cameras released around the same time as em1.3 or much later (Canon R6/R5, Sony a7SIII, a7C, ZV, Fuji XT4 and many more) all have their RAW support included on Apple devices: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211241

Even Nikon Z6 and Z7 mark II have RAW support on Apple devices.

More than a year later, Olympus can't even support its own format on the most popular platform for creators. All the other manufacturers have provided RAW support for their cheaper models, yet OMDS isn't even willing to do this for their flagship.

That says something when even basic product support isn't provided.

Back in my software development days, I was in a company working on an enterprise application meant to run on OS X (what MacOS was called at the time). Over the year or so I spent in that company, we would frequently report bugs or make requests to Apple. In my experience, dealing with their developers-facing team is like talking to a wall. You report a bug or request, you get your almost automated reply, and then wait. There is no cooperation or further involvement from your end —unlike Microsoft or even IBM. They have their own internal processes, all of which you have no idea about nor they are willing to tell you. You just had to wait and hope that they will acknowledge/work on your request.

Even now, as a researcher often engaged in dialogs with big tech., talking to Apple is always a different experience. Their organisational culture and corporate policies simply promote a mindset of 'we are Apple, we will do things as we want to.'

Where I am coming at is that Olympus not having E-M1 MkIII RAW support is probably just a matter of time. Changing the legal entity probably required them to recertify themselves and have to navigate the stone maze that is Apple's policies.

RecklessCoding's gear list:RecklessCoding's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow