Need some input on choosing a birding camera and lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Ricardo00 Contributing Member • Posts: 963
Re: Need some input on choosing a birding camera and lens

calson wrote:

I would give serious consideration to the Olympus MFT cameras and lenses which will save quite a bit of money and also a lot of weight. These are now 4th generation mirrorless cameras with outstanding in camera 5-axis optical stabilization and excellent electronic viewfinders.

The 100-400mm from Olympus provides the view angle of a full frame 200-800mm lens and the optical stabilization of this lens on an Olympus camera provides additive stabilization from the camera and the lens. The Olympus 300mm f/4 lens also provides this feature and I have taken shots at 1/8 second hand held and the result is tack sharp pictures. It is what my wife uses 100% of the time so I know what these cameras and lenses are capable of producing in images with wildlife photography.

Also the 150-400mm f/4.5 lens with built in TC, though much more expensive (and hard to get).

Ricardo00's gear list:Ricardo00's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow