R6 transfer speed to PC

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
mbrick Junior Member • Posts: 32
R6 transfer speed to PC

I would like to hear feedback from others on transfer speed from an R6 to a PC or Mac.

I am using a USB C 3.1 Gen 1 cable, and my Mac (with USB C ports) shows it as being on the USB 3.1 Bus with a speed of 10 Gb/s in System Information.
PC also says connected via USB 3.0 in devices.

On my new MacBook Air, when I transfer a 1GB video, the max speed is around 28MB/s.
On my PC with a USB C 3.2 Gen 2 port, I see around 28-35MB/s.

I can tell waiting for thumbnails to load that it does not seem very fast.

I put the SD card (SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB) into the SD card slot in my iMac, and the same video transferred at around 130MB/s - what I expect.

It seems like the camera is limited to USB2.0 speeds, but I don't know why?
The camera specs say USB 3.1 Gen 2 via a USB Type-C port so it should be blazing fast.

Is anyone successfully seeing fast transfer speeds directly from the camera, and what is your setup and cable to do so?

This thread says an R5 was 30MB/s transfer speed from the SD card:
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/file-transfer-speed-eos-r5-to-windows-pc.39261/

That seems like a ridiculous limitation if true. The faster bus speed can't only be meant for tethered shooting? The camera supports UHS-II SD cards as well so it has to support reading fast.

mbrick's gear list:mbrick's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow