Opinion on camera & lens combination for panorama photography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DuxVitae New Member • Posts: 4
Opinion on camera & lens combination for panorama photography

Current situation: I'm a hobby photographer with a favour for panoramic shooting (mostly outdoors, sometimes indoors) and combining them to tours. So far, I use a Powershot S120. The major drawback is that stitching the 24 images for a 360° panorama takes quite some time. I often have to specify many control points manually. Therefore, I plan to buy a new camera with a wide-angle lens.

After extensive web research, I ended up with the following combination:

Canon EOS 250 D + Sigma 8-16 mm 4.5-5.6 DC HSM (with a total price of roughly 1k€)

The minimum focal length of 8 mm (108° x 86° field of view) is essential since then shooting one row + zenith and nadir is sufficient for a full panorama.

Alternatively, the Canon M6 Mark II seems to be another option with more megapixels. With the M6 I'd a achieve a 19K pixels wide panorama whereas the 250D gives 16.7K pixels.

I have the following questions:

• Is the Sigma lens good enough to utilize the 32 megapixels of the M6?
  • Can I expect good results from the camera lens combination?
  • Is this combination still a good choice (given the price class and application scenario)?
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Rebel SL3 (EOS 250D / EOS Kiss X10) Canon PowerShot S120 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow