How properly prepare raw-files for big format printing?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Al D Contributing Member • Posts: 704
Re: How properly prepare raw-files for big format printing?

AnthonyL wrote:

Al D wrote:

Sure. Whatever you say. He can upload whatever. It'll print. Have a good day.

But for the benefit of the original poster:

My Workflow For REALLY Big Prints? - YouTube

Part about outputting for the lab starts at about 8:30, and resizing in Photoshop at 15:30.

There's an awful lot of work gone into that before he even started and an awful lot of software and equipment after he started. It may be the answer to what the OP asked for but it is well beyond a Beginners answer.

It is for sure. It does show a proper process for high quality large size printing. There is a difference of course on what a weekend photographer will want to do for a 24x36 to display in the living room and one that is processing for printing in archival ink for display in a gallery or museum. The print sizes the youtuber is ordering also call for a more thorough preparation.

Interesting that the final output is jpg as I was going to ask if anyone had done a real life test of TIFF v JPG print test as my instinct is that it would not be possible to tell the difference.

Context is everything. His last edit is saved in jpeg with the expectation that it will not be modified and resaved, which would result in a loss of quality.    If the OP has already processed the raw file and converted it to tiff then, if given the option to upload in tiff and the file is not humongous, he should just upload in tiff and keep the option of requesting a copy of the file if changes were made.

-- hide signature --

“Most people in America think Art is a man's name.” - Andy Warhol

Al D's gear list:Al D's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow