Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 21,792
Re: Maybe ...

jwilliams wrote:

Grimstod wrote:

Olympus has released the RAW content to Apple for the Em1.3 We know this as the Vise president of the British branch even complained in an interview that Apple had still not implemented what they had given them.

Maybe this points to a slightly different problem. If indeed Apple has had the info for some time but not bothered to update its SW for the latest m43 cameras(s), then it speaks to how they view them in the overall photo market. Since Macs are heavily used in photo editing I do not think they would ignore a product they felt a large percentage of photographers were using or likely to be using in the future. I cannot imagine them ignoring Canon or Sony for instance.

Simply put, Apple might not be in a hurry for support because they see m43 as a dying system and are focusing their resources on those companies they perceive as being the eventual winners in the dwindling photo market.

Updating the raw file to support a new camera is fairly simple stuff.  Simple enough, that you could have an intern do it.  The cost is small enough that it isn't going to show up in the bottom line at all.  There is more going on than resource allocation and OMDs survival.

Nikon is still being supported.  And it is at least as close to "lay-down and close your eyes, dead" as OMDS.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow