Fine Art Photography - Digital vs. Film - A followup

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,151
Re: To me this is silly...

jiberlin wrote:

Aaron801 wrote:

Cherry_F wrote:

Aaron801 wrote:
I can't remember who said it, and I'm paraphrasing a bit but it's been said that every new generation of artists are charged with smashing the notions of what the last generation considered to be art.

Quite true...
And one can also observe the opposite: the next generation call for "back to real art", the idea that the previous generation has somewhat perverted the landscape, and it's time to go back to basics.

The verb 'reinvent' is frequently used in this context.
I saw an ad on a bus yesterday : Bozen reinvents Japanese cooking !

No doubt... with any kind of culture, if one type of expression is popular enough than it's kind of inevitable that there will be some folks making something to counterbalance that.

It's interesting to me that in visual art, the thrust of it ay any given moment seems to be the avant guard, with the most talked about/collected artists being the ones that are dong the most radical stuff. In music it seems to be far less so, with the most successful artists, generally working with an older, "safer" kind of a formula. There are exceptions to that, with folks like Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, etc making work that's very groundbreaking AND successful, but this seems to happen far less often.

I think this is a result of the 'consumers' of the different art areas (visual vs. music) and how the market work. The music market is manly driven by masses (number of singles, download, streams, etc.), vs, the visual arts market is manly driven by some type of 'experts' (reviewers, curators, galleries, etc.).

It is part of the human nature that most like the things they know, and only a minority likes new distracting things. And i think most of the visual arts 'experts' are from the minority that is interested in exploring new areas.

I cant afford a Caravaggio or a Rembrandt to hand in my study - so I go for less well known, less established, contemporary artists.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Canon PowerShot S100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow