Topaz Denoise AI and NEF - why is exposure different?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DanishMacro Forum Member • Posts: 88
Topaz Denoise AI and NEF - why is exposure different?

I've bought the latest version of Topaz Denoise AI, 3.03, but are having problems with workflow, and how Topaz handles NEF-files from my Nikon Z6:

As far as I understand, Topaz wants their software to be first in a workflow, before you do any other editing to your files. I can work with this, even though I find it cumbersome, as I prefer culling in Lightroom, editing the files and then do the noise-removal.

However, for some reason the exposure is very different, as in a full stop of light different, between Denoise AI and Lightroom Classic CC (as far as I can tell, Denoise AI gets the exposure setting wrong). See the image below comparing the two images in Adobe Bridge.

My initial thought was to do all editing in Lightroom and then export to dng and do the noise removal from there, but Denoise AI just throws all my Lightroom edits out the window, even the crop I've selected. TIF-files, while retaining my edits, works terrible in Denoise AI compared to NEF / DNG.

I see that there's an "Increase brightness button" in Denoise AI, that I've turned on and off, with no result. I guess there's just a difference between how Lightroom and Denoise AI develop raw files?

So I'm looking for helpful tips in workflows that involve Lightroom and Denoise AI (potentially with raw resolution enhancing in Adobe Raw)?

Thank you!

DanishMacro's gear list:DanishMacro's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron 70-210mm F4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +5 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow