Telephoto dilemma

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NicsPixels Regular Member • Posts: 452
Telephoto dilemma

I’m testing out a recently purchased Olympus 300 mm f4 to experience the differences between the Oly 100-400. As others have posted, I can see how both have their Pros and Cons. I do like the constant lower apertures of the PRO lenses, but the zoom is convenient as heck!  I’m not sure if I could justify keeping both long telephotos. This got me thinking:

With my 40-150 f2.8 PRO, and the MC-20 attached, I could get close to the same FOV as the 100-400 and have a constant f5.6. However, would I get the same or better IQ as the Oly 100-400?

I’m going to test that out this weekend before my Monday deadline of making a decision on which lens to keep (send back the 300 f4 or sell the 100-400). As I play around with this, I’m curious to hear if anyone else has this long telephoto setup (pairing the 40-150 f2.8 PRO and the 300 f4 PRO + teleconverters) and if you’d be interested in sharing your experience thus far.

(yes, the 150-400 is tempting, but 1). It’s expensive 2). Have you seen the waitlist)?  

Thanks all!

NicsPixels's gear list:NicsPixels's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Olympus E-M1 III Canon EOS R5 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 25mm F1.2 +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow