Should Challenge Entrants Be Allowed To Vote In Challenges They Enter? Locked

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 4,939
Should Challenge Entrants Be Allowed To Vote In Challenges They Enter?

Should Challenge Entrants Be Allowed To Vote In Challenges They Enter? IMO, No.

It is just about universally accepted within this community that the voting in DPR Challenges is easily open to abuse and/or manipulation by unscrupulous members.

I fully accept and understand why DPR prefer we don't take these challenges too seriously and I also fully understand why some members would like stricter controls on the integrity and eligibility of the entries and votes cast.

I don't take these challenges too seriously and if my entry ends up with a final score of within 1 star of the winner, regardless of how many entries are in between mine and the winner, then I am happy because I think to myself that my entry was not too bad.

But having said this, I still think simple improvements that can be made to improve the integrity, not necessarily guarantee the integrity, should still be made where possible.

So, a very simple improvement that could be made requiring very little time and resources is to disallow members from voting in challenges in which they have an entry.

The DPR algorithm already checks if the image a member wants to vote on is their entry or not and if it is, then voting is disabled on that image for the member.

It should be a very quick and simple adjustment to the algorithm to replace the above check with a check to see if the member has an entry in the challenge they have just opened to view/vote in.

If the member has an entry in the challenge then the algorithm simply disables or removes the "voting stars" from the images in that challenge for the member.

Now of course this is not going to fix all the issues with the current voting system but it will prevent unscrupulous challenge entrants from casting 0.5 stars or other very low scores to entries they might see as threats to finishing above their entry in the challenge.

Baby steps to hopefully improving the voting system

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow