Back Button Focusing

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tatlyned
Tatlyned New Member • Posts: 2
Back Button Focusing

Hi! A little background, I'm fairly new to DSLR cameras but I have taken several online courses and so I'm progressing. My weak point is understanding the autofocus system (you'd think that would be the easy part!) I shoot on manual. I recently set up back-button focusing and I'm confused. This is what I do -- select my subject --- set focus by pressing the button dedicated to back button focusing (the asterisk) recompose and take the picture. As I understand it, once I set the focus I should be able to recompose to my heart's content without losing focus. That being the case, when I look at the photos in the Canon software and check the focus point, you'd think the focus point would always remain in the same position even though I've recomposed the photo. It's not at all though? It's never in the same spot! lol. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I'm missing? I'm definitely set up correctly for back-button focusing and I have it set to AI SERVO AF.

Tatlyned's gear list:Tatlyned's gear list
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon 18-55 F4-5.6 IS STM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow