Alternatives to the Sony a6400 for streaming and videography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Roger Wilco New Member • Posts: 17
Alternatives to the Sony a6400 for streaming and videography

Hi, I have two Sony a6400s with f2.8 zooms that work really well for my video and streaming needs. I'm wondering if there's a significantly less expensive alternative which will perform at the same level?

The TL;DR:

I'm a professional musician who works in a private studio space. When COVID hit I invested in some photography and video gear to be able to pivot to more virtual and video work. (It's been a good move!) I am a hobbyist/amateur photographer and settled on the Sony a6400, one reason being that the format was the most versatile and I could use it for photography as well as video and streaming. Each camera I bought used—including lenses, I've invested about $3200 into the setup, minus cables/batteries/etc.

The main issue is I don't really enjoy the Sony for photography. I love my Ricoh GR2 but it's due for an upgrade and I've also been jonesing for a Fuji x100v. I'd love to pick something up but can't justify or afford it with the gear I have now.

My thought is my Sony/lens combos are perfectly capable (I'd say they're, technically, exactly what I need in terms of focus, light, and capture performance) but maybe I'm paying for things I don't really need. I don't know what the alternatives are in the video world. Ideally I'd love to sell the Sonys, pick up another compact, and at least be technically where I started. Maybe the Sonys are already the best balance between ability and affordability?

Any hot tips are appreciated, thank you!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow