Where have all our posters gone?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
norman shearer Senior Member • Posts: 1,365
Re: Where have all our posters gone?

Lelly wrote:

It will be interesting to see and read your thoughts on comparisons Norman.

I took them both out for a quick comparison at a nearby park. I sat down and shot with the Pentax KP and 20-40mm DA Ltd. Took around 8 shots of the scene around me and switched to A77ii and 16-50mm SSM.

One thing I picked up on straight away was how comfortable a hold the A77ii was. So nice in my hand I was happy to keep it there and only use the neck strap when needed. The KP on the other hand is short in height and only 3 fingers go round the grip leaving 2 underneath the base. In the KP's favour was the build. It felt and looked more robust. The 20-40mm zoom is a fine match which speaks quality.

However once I had the A77ii in my hand I did not want to use the KP again so it stayed in my bag. The bigger range of the 16-50 is nice for a walkabout and constant F2.8 also gives you more options to avoid raising the ISO as did having ISO 50. I have not had ISO 50 available since Pentax K-5 and it's far more useful than a camera that offers extreme highISO like the KP.

Back home I was a bit miffed to discover that when I zoomed beyond 20mm on the KP 4 of the shots were blurry and presumably miss-focused because the ibis was on and I was shooting around 1/250s. From the few pics left to compare it seemed like a dead heat for sharpness. The KP images were a little more saturated. It looks like the KP images can be pushed a tad harder. I found the A77ii images were more accurate in terms of colour and it was easier to nail the exposure. AF was near instant on the A77ii and it was so quick I found myself double checking. I took many more pics with the A77ii and found 1 that was out of focus and that was my first shot that I took by accident when I meant to only half press the shutter.

So yes, the Pentax gear is now going. I was drooling a little over the new Pentax K3 iii but in all honesty I think it really only makes sense to die-hard Pentaxians. I get so much more bang for buck with Sony A and I can use the FF glass on E-mount too.

How much longer Sony A mount will continue is difficult to guess but if I can get another 2-3 years from it I don't care if it rapidly loses resale value. It's possible the A77ii will be my last APS-C ILC..

A77ii

A77ii

A77ii

A77ii

A77ii

A77ii

Pentax KP

Pentax KP

Pentax KP

norman shearer's gear list:norman shearer's gear list
Samsung EX2F Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Pentax K-5 II +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow