Do you use UV filters to protect your lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP jcurtistx Regular Member • Posts: 490
Re: jcurtistx,

snapa wrote:

jcurtistx wrote:

I recently purchased a Sony a6600, Sony 70-350mm lens and Tamron 17-70mm lens. Now that I have them I want to make sure they do not get damaged as best as I can. I have thought about getting UV filters for the lenses, but then have read articles saying that they are bad ideas and can make your photos worse.

I have the a6300 & Sony 70-300mm lens, I use the lens hood and lens cap when not shooting. With those two forms of protection, a UV filter is not needed as a third protection. There is no way to touch the front lens element with the lens hood attached. The lens cap is even better protection when not using your lens.

What do you all do? Do you have protective filters on your lenses or do you feel they reduce the quality of the photos by putting an inexpensive piece of glass in front of an expensive one?

Yes, putting anything in front of your lens, no matter how expensive will reduce IQ in some way. Why, because it also needs to be smudge and dust clean, which is another thing to worry about. Why would you think you need three types of lens protection, if you are careful?

BTW, I've never touched or scratched the front element on any of my lenses using lens hoods and lens caps. Also, I notice you have not replied to any replies so far? Do you have any thoughts on any of the replies so far?

Thanks for the reply.  So far I have not purchased any filters for my lenses and now doubt I will.  I do use the lens hood and lens cap so it does that that protection. The point some have made against cleaning the lens is a valid one, but have not had a need to touch it so far.

if I ever got one, it would likely be for a specific purpose as opposed for general use/added protection.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

Sony a6600, Sony 70-350mm, Tamron 17-70mm, Sony F32M Flash

jcurtistx's gear list:jcurtistx's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow