R6 or A7RIII? ...Expecting Bias :D

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Handiworks
Handiworks Regular Member • Posts: 487
R6 or A7RIII? ...Expecting Bias :D

Aloha!

My expectation is that this particular post in this particular forum will garner particular levels of bias... and that's great! :D.

The current price-point between the A7RIII with Tamron glass and an R6 with a 35mm 1.8 or used EF glass are almost the same. I sold all my Nikon DSLR kit a while back while it still had value and have been watching the mirrorless wars to see what I would commit myself to. My needs are simple but varied, landscapes and kids (I have 6). Not the easiest combo to find in one body. My children are young, active, and fast so a great af is needful (which both systems have) and lowlight performance would be appreciated for capturing everyday life.

I've read and watched many great reviews online, all of which are as entertaining as they are informative, but I'd like to hear some opinions from those here in DPR.

I rented an A7III a year back with the 24-105 F4 and was surprised that the menu system didn't really bother me and I loved the customization of the Sony, dynamic range was excellent, the body a bit cramped, but my biggest complaint was rear LCD resolution which is better in the A7RIII. I also purchased an RP about the same time and loved the ergs, Canon's menu, touch screen, and vari-tilt screen (unique perspective is a large part of my photography). Both systems I think I would be pleased with. Another consideration is that this system will be for our whole family. We use photography as a tool for teaching art, mechanics, physics, etc. and all my children have Bridge Fujis or Sonys, so available glass and smaller hands are also on my mind. Both Sony and Canon (EF) have a great used market and while Sony seems to have a larger native selection at the moment, Canon is hot on their heels.

Anyway, I could ramble on and on, would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!

I attached a couple pics for your entertainment from from the A7III I rented, the flower shots were taken early morning in low light to test how far I could push the Sony's images. The RP's sensor I wasn't as pleased with and sent it back (though I liked the camera handling much better). The R6's sensor though lower pixel count, looks fantastic from the online examples I've seen, curious if the colors to any owners here appear the same as the R or R5, as they have looked warmer than I've come to expect from Canon... better than the green/blue which the Sony favors?

As a cartoonist, artistically I enjoy creating emotive effect over realism, so feel free to mock these pics, I know how oversaturated they are lol.

Low light color recovery test

Seeing how far I could pull the shadows and push the colors.

Another lowlight A7III example

Softened in Affinity Photo, Badlands, ND.

-- hide signature --

Researching all MILC Systems, Olympus OMD-EM1, & some other bits.
"The present is the only place where time touches eternity" C.S. Lewis

Handiworks's gear list:Handiworks's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow