A skin color test - sure, you can pick the camera brand!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,784
A skin color test - sure, you can pick the camera brand!

Here is a simpe test for all those who are able to judge "good" and "bad" skin color. You can easily say what is good skin color here, and what is bad, and even immediately pick what camera brand that was used for each row with samples. Or what?

All skin color presented here are from recently posted sample images for five camera brands on Dpreview. They are all from white people (sorry, you colored out there, but their sample photos show primarily white people), picked from the first five daylight pictures I could find. Each skin color patch is an average of 51 x 51 pixels from the bright light side of the faces, and color is sampled from the same area of the face, from the cheek, for all patches.

Most of these galleries were praised for good color, while there were many talking about color cast in the Sony examples - some saying that a certain picture was too green, others saying that the same picture was too magenta, and some claiming it was too yellowish. Nothing unusual, with other words.

Well, here are the skin color from 25 photographs isolated, 5 from each of five major or well known camera brands. I am sure you immediately can value them as good or bad. Or do you miss the context? Well, then try picking camera brand.

Note that all photographs that I sampled skin colors from looks nice, exposure is okay, and skin color looks pretty fine!

I could also ask: Do the skin color look natural? What skin color looks most natural? I will give you a hint: These are skin colors from photographs, not real world skin color as we sense them trough our eyes when we look at people around us.

Skin color samples from Dpreview galleries, picked from the same area of the face for portraits that looked ok. Samples are picked from the first five daylight portraits that I came across.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow