A7R4 at 600mm. Strange blur.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OvinceZ
OvinceZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,752
A7R4 at 600mm. Strange blur.

I have been shooting the Sony R series since they came out. I have had a 500mm lens since 2009 and a 600mm a few years later. So I had a fair idea how to use these lenses. I went to Maslin Beach in South Australia because they have interesting coloured cliffs behind the beach. I usually take panoramas of special places and did so at this beach. When I looked at my photos later that night I was shocked to see so many photos ruined at 600 mm. I decided to return to Maslin Beach the next day and try again. Still getting the blurry photos. Quite the bizarre phenomenon.

I looked on YouTube to see if anyone else had a problem and found some bird photographers not happy with the 200-600. I used my Canon 600L and also the Sony 200-600 but the results were the same. It wasn't a particularly hot day. Just a warm day. I used a tripod and tried various setting re image stabilization.

When I got home I installed the latest 1.20 firmware and also reset the sensor by changing the date then resetting the date to the correct time. You turn the camera off and wait about 10 seconds until you hear a faint click.

I have been out testing the 600 on the weekend and the blurring is gone. By the way, there was no blurring in photos taken at Victor Harbour that same morning using the combination. There was no blurring using the 90 macro.

If anyone can shed some light on what might have caused the strange blurring I would be grateful.

Jpg photos edited in Photoshop but no noise reduction applied. Posted here full size.

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sony a7R IV Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow