2017 high-spec'd MacBook Pro still a good buy?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,871
2017 high-spec'd MacBook Pro still a good buy?

I get all the M1/2 hype, but locally a seller has a 15" 2017 MacBook Pro for sale; specs are 3.1ghz i7 (kaby Lake), 16gb ddr3 ram, 1TB ssd, integrated and discrete graphics, 4 USB-C Thunderbolt 3 ports, touchbar, etc for a very good price. I have tried the iPad Pro route for editing my photos and videos and am selling it as I just don't like certain aspects of it (files app limitations, one-port dongleness, slow transfer speeds from external drives, etc.). In short I've decided I prefer the interface of the laptop over that of the iPad.

I have a 13" 2014 MacBook Pro that chugs along when I do video editing (I'm a hobbyist only), and would like to upgrade. I have indeed been looking at the M1 MacBook Air models, but in order to get 16gb and 512 or 1tb memory the price becomes quite high, especially since I would be adding 15% sales tax to the cost. Running an intel Mac would also allow me to run Windows 10 and my pc programs in boot camp (from a pc laptop that's on its last legs.

Any issues with this idea? My goal would be to have this machine for another two or three years before upgrading to an M3 or 4 Mac Thanks for any input. For the record the difference in price between this used MacBook and a new M1 Air with 16gb/512gb is about $800 CDN 😬

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow