Focusing night shots?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,135
Re: Focusing night shots?

albero wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

albero wrote:

Buy a nikkor lens with the oled panel like the 24 70 F2.8 or the 14 24 F2.8

In the dark the oled panel show focus distance and depth of field.

That's sort of a lot of money just to get an OLED (which may or may not be exactly correct) versus doing what everyone else said..... to focus on a star, the moon, or some distant object... costs nothing to the OP.

For sure it is a lot of money but it is also an alternative to focus on a star or the moon in case those are covered by the clouds and it is pitch black. Landscape night photography is a challenging subject.

Try to focus a flower in the grass during the night with no moon or artificial lights...maybe you can take advantage of a torch if you have one with you....

https://flic.kr/p/2j5iDP3

I'm not doubting it's better, but I'm (at least) trying to work with the OP has here as it's not impossible and there are "workarounds" to achieve the same result. Ideally yes something like the 14-24 or 24-70 with the OLED would be best and probably most accurate, but the OP may not want to spend that type of money.

If they were on a FF body, then I would certain recommend a 14-24 (even a adapted on) or the 24-70 2.8 with the OLED.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow