Is DxO PureRAW way slower than it needs to be?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Beatsy
Beatsy Senior Member • Posts: 1,003
Is DxO PureRAW way slower than it needs to be?

I recently got DxO PureRAW after dropping Prime years ago (because of their studio environment lock-in). I love the new plugin aspect with conversion, lens correction and denoise even better than before - and it was already excellent back then.

But the speed PureRAW processes images at is *far* from excellent! Not because it is slow, per se (I expected that), but because it uses only 5% to 10% of my PC's available CPU, GPU and disk throughput while processing! All these things are idling along doing practically nothing while DxO is *slowly* running a batch (typically around 0%-7% utilisation with one short spike to 20% or so for each image processed.

I usually batch big focus-stacks overnight, but I really need to get more done. It's galling to have to wait >3-hours for batch import/convert of 400 62MPix RAWs when there's so much spare horsepower sitting idle. Over 3 hours could be 15-20 minutes if PureRAW multi-threaded properly, or even just crudely overlapped multiple processes to do more than one file at a time.

I tried running more than one copy to process separate groups of images in parallel, but it won't allow more than one instance - just switches to the already running one. Argh!

Is this normal operation, or is there something I can do to make PureRAW use more of the "oomph" that my PC has sitting idle so I can get batches through faster? Does PhotoLab 4 handle this better - maybe?

As it stands, I may have to forgo the excellent denoise features for large batches (again) and only use it for selected, single-image conversions. That would be a shame.

Thanks in advance...

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow