Scene or subject?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,583
Scene or subject?

This is a question that has been interesting me for a while, and it has been touched on in several recent conversations here. Are you more inclined to photograph an entire scene, or to photograph a specific subject? I realize there is a fair amount of crossover, in forms like the environmental portrait or landscapes with clear focal points of a house, a rock, or a tree. A complex still life is probably both a scene and a subject.

And of course, over a period of time most of us will do both things. I'm the most subject -oriented photographer you can imagine, and even I will occasionally try my hand at a landscape or cityscape, or photograph the sky. And I am sure even a dedicated  landscape photographer will occasionally make a portrait of a person or a pet, or photograph an object. A sports photographer with a long zoom may move between a general scene of game play and a very specific subject like a player's hand on the ball very quickly.

Do you have a preference or orientation? If you do, do you think it is part of your personality or individual point of view independent of photography, or is it something you learned or otherwise developed? Or maybe you cultivate a mixed form that fills both needs at once in individual photographs?

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow