Pigeonholes

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Redhenry Regular Member • Posts: 166
Pigeonholes

Just thinking aloud, as it were. Is it only me who is irritated by the 'aimed at' labels which come up in camera press releases, reviews and ads? I've been thinking about an Olympus EPL10. Goes in a jacket pocket, takes interchangeable lenses, image quality as good as I will ever need, you can change the angle of the screen and it has the magic letters PASM on the little dial. I don't do video or wildlife, do close-up rather than macro, rarely exceed ISO 800 and, most importantly, I can afford one of these! So, why is this camera for 'people who have realised that they want something better than a smartphone', for 'novice photographers' or for people who 'don't take their photography too seriously '.  My pictures are for me. I sometimes send a few to a microstock agency, which pays about enough to buy me a bottle of whisky most months so is just for fun, and if they tell me I should start submitting FF pics, I'll stop doing it. I'm not a novice photographer so do I have to have a medium-format marvel with a bag of lenses which cost more than my car?  I know it doesn't matter but they don't refer to small economical cars as 'beginner's cars' and big SUVs as 'enthusiast or professional' cars.

Redhenry's gear list:Redhenry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Sony RX100 II Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow