Discuss a photographer - a counterpoint example?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
knickerhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,209
Discuss a photographer - a counterpoint example?

There's been quite a nice flurry of interesting threads recently related to art and photography. In no small part this is due to the excellent "Discuss a photographer" threads authored by jpeghorror. My thanks to jpeghorror for a nicely curated selection of photographers, several of whom I wasn't familiar, and collectively representing a good sampling of different genres in contemporary art photography. For anyone not familiar with these threads and interested in checking them out click here.

Recently I stumbled across a contemporary photographer, Troi Anderson, whose work was completely unfamiliar to me. I very much enjoyed viewing his galleries, which are mostly documentary in nature but also include landscapes. What struck me while looking through these images is how approachable they are in juxtaposition to many of the photographers presented by jpeghorror. Anderson's work is notable for getting right so many of the conventional qualities we associate with good photography - interesting compositions, fantastic lighting, carefully processed, sharp and detailed with strong color, contrast and tonality. Thus, I suspect that many here will at least initially respond more positively to his work than they do to many of the photographers that jpeghorror has presented. These are gorgeous images. They (mostly) tell stories. They just work...

What they don't have that many of the examples presented by jpeghorror at least purport to have is the kind of conceptual framework that seems to be required table stakes for acceptability in contemporary art photography. Or do they? Or am I wrong about this characterization of contemporary art photography? Please discuss!

Here's a representative example of Anderson's documentary work:

http://www.troianderson.com/labyrinth-the-caves-of-st-john/

And here's an example of his landscape work:

http://www.troianderson.com/saerie-eilah/

Enjoy!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
tex
tex
tex
tex
tex
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow