Gitzo GT2543L Mountaineer vs FLM CP-30 L4 II compared

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Snap Happy Senior Member • Posts: 1,502
Gitzo GT2543L Mountaineer vs FLM CP-30 L4 II compared

Comparing the FLM CP-30 L4ii to my Gitzo GT2543L...

Both get to the same height (~1.7m/5ft7in), the Gitzo achieves this through raising the centre column, which the FLM does not have. Common sense would therefore dictate that the FLM is more stable when fully extended, which my very brief indoors-on-carpet test would bear out.

Build quality - nothing to choose between them IMHO. Both have same diameter tubes, give or take a millimetre. If any thing I prefer the FLM's metal leg locks to the Gitzo's rubber coated one's, and the legs on the FLM slide out with less resistance (although the Gitzo's action is super smooth).

The FLM has a slimmer profile, so will take up less space in a bag or strapped to the side of a pack. There's nothing to choose between them in terms of folded length though - both are around 60cm/2ft - not compact but that's inevitable in a reasonably tall 4 section tripod.

There are two areas where the FLM beats the Gitzo hands-down:

First the FLM is £549 to the Gitzo's £729, so you could have the FLM and a very decent head for the price of the Gitzo. Plus the FLM ships not just with rubber feet but spikes as well.

Second, on my digital scales, the FLM is 1.46Kg/3.2lbs... around 300g/0.66lbs lighter than the Gitzo.

Snap Happy's gear list:Snap Happy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 100S Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +26 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow