Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,469
Re: gray cards and incident readings

SrMi wrote:

Overrank wrote:

Svein Eriksen wrote:

Overrank wrote:

….

That is one reason I find the digital infatuation with ETTR rather strange, because (to my way of thinking), I don’t care about noise in the shadows because I don’t want to see them anyway.

ETTR with digital (done correctly) give you the best possible data for post processing and not only in the shadows. If you're not post processing then ETTR is pointless and will in many cases give unusable images (until you post process).

Yes, one of the reasons I use film is because I dislike post processing, so the idea of something where I have to post process before I can even see a usable image is an anathema.

ETTR is relevant only for RAW files. If you dislike post-processing, you shoot JPG.

SOOC negative film is always very dark ;-).

On digital I nearly always shoot JPG+RAW, as I can normally pull something back out of the RAW file if the exposure is off e.g. flash didn’t fire. But I find now I mostly use digital to photograph film cameras I’m selling, or the packaging if I need to put in a claim with the post office etc, so exposure in general is less of an issue.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow