Very unique and capable lens

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
OP Lee Baby Simms Contributing Member • Posts: 929
For some things, yes

Some have said the legacy 85 1.8 USM is the fastest focusing Canon lens ever made, and that's its strongest attribute.

Optically, there's really no comparison. The newer model is from another world in regards to sharpness and close-focus ability, all without a hint of purple fringe (CA) in high contrast shooting. It's only deficit is it's focus system. Fine in good light, hunts a bit after dark, and is downright frustrating using MF in macro mode.

If you like the older lens and don't notice the purple fringe or softer corners, stick with it!

tdbmd wrote:

Lee Baby Simms wrote:

If you don't need the close-focus, then by all means head towards the Samyang. I've read great reviews.

Wedding Photographer in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado
Every great photograph was taken with a camera worse than yours

I recently purchased a R6. I have been doing some shooting with a borrowed EF 85mm f1.8 USM and have really liked the results for portrait type shots. Do you find the RF 85 f2.0 to be superior? I have used the 85mm f1.8 for indoor sports, but maybe the AF on the RF 85 is not up to that task?

-- hide signature --

Wedding Photographer in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado
Every great photograph was taken with a camera worse than yours

Lee Baby Simms's gear list:Lee Baby Simms's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow