Eye fatigue with EVF on E-M1 Mark III

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HH1 Junior Member • Posts: 33
Eye fatigue with EVF on E-M1 Mark III

I resisted going mirrorless for a long time because of concern about using an electronic viewfinder. I have sensitive eyes and use glasses, so clarity and eye relief are important.

I adore my new Olympus E-M1 Mark III in nearly every way. But one thing I have not come to peace with is the EVF. I would appreciate any practical tips for the best way to use it.

I find that using the EVF gives me a headache quickly and my eyes get fatigued. I definitely cannot use the camera for as long as I can with an optical viewfinder. I don't know if it is because of the harsh colors in the EVF, greater brightness, lower resolution, and motion blur/jumpiness of the image when moving the camera.

I find that using SOVF mode is a bit easier on the eyes, but that loses some of the advantages of an EVF. Perhaps one adjusts to using the EVF after 50 years of using an OVF. At the moment I am going to try using the SOVF mode in good light and only turn it off in dim light.

Here are some things I am trying to figure out to optimize the EVF:

1. It is less fatiguing/easier on the eye to turn off Auto Luminance? With SOVF is this the most SLR-like view?

2. Does live view boost affect both the EVF and the LCD or just the LCD? Should this be turned off when using SOVF or is this automatically done? My ideal would be to have the most accurate live view in the LCD and a more SLR-like view through the viewfinder.

3. For some reason the frame rate setting is greyed out (D2) whether I have SOVF on or off. Is there something that would disable this? Does this adjustment affect both the viewfinder and the LCD or only one of them?

4. Is there any way to create a viewfinder preset, so I can easily change from SOVF/Auto-luminence off to turning these on as I move into light situations (such as coming from outside into a dark cathedral)?

I also am disappointed in the eye relief in the E-M1 Mark III. My previous experience with Olympus cameras led me to expect this camera to be good in this area. I can see more of the viewfinder without the eyecup, but Olympus did not build in as much eye relief as some of their other cameras.

I am using EVF Style 1 so I can see most of the image with glasses without moving my head.

I would appreciate any suggestions for using the EVF in a less fatiguing way, particularly with eyeclasses.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HH1
HH1
HH1
HH1
HH1
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow