Lens advice please

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ericbowles
ericbowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,511
Re: Lens advice please

Ravenboy83 wrote:

I currently have the Nikon Z6 ii w/ the Z 70-200mm f/2.8, and am looking to round out my base lens collection with the Z 24-70mm and Z 14-24mm lenses.

My question is, should I save my money up and get the Z 24-70mm f/2.8 and Z 14-24mm f/2.8, or will I be missing anything by saving a lot of money and getting the Z 24-70mm f/4 and the Z 14-30mm f/4?

Thanks

I have all the lenses you are listing.  The f/4 lenses you reference are quite good - especially if you are stopping them down slightly.  The 14-30 is very compact and light for a wide lens, and takes filters, so it's a good alternative to the 14-24 f/2.8 unless you really need f/2.8.  For me, the 24-70 f/2.8 is a workhorse lens and I use it a lot.  It's simply the best 24-70 Nikon has made.  But I use it for both build quality and shallow DOF in addition to the optical performance.

One additional thought.  Depending on your software, lens corrections are usually pretty automatic.  But if your software does not do a good job with corrections, the 24-70 f/2.8 is so good that corrections are minimal.

I have the 24-70 f/4 for travel and a light kit, and the f/2.8 version for quality and professional work.  I do use it and the 70-200 at wide apertures regularly.

-- hide signature --
 ericbowles's gear list:ericbowles's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 II +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow