Curious about your vintage lens buying experience: Duds? Gems? Wish you hadn't sold?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
J.K.T. Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: Curious about your vintage lens buying experience: Duds? Gems? Wish you hadn't sold?

bp_reid wrote:

Duds;

Tamron SP 70-210/3.5 #19AH. Lower contrast and higher CA than I expected.

That's two then. I thought I just had bad luck, but maybe not.

Tamron 200mm f/3.5 [04B] is another horror. Externally beautiful sample, but the images suck big time. It is supposed to be decent, so there is apparently something wrong with it.

Gems:

Tamron SP 80-200mm f/2.8 LD [30A] is pretty much perfect ... and the only 80-200 f/2.8 I have or have had. The only down-side is the tobacco smell of the original lens pouch.

Canon FDn 500mm f/4.5 L was in even better condition than the seller advertised. The problem with this one is adapting it to RF teleconverters. The FD aperture lever has to go. Some other dremeling may also be necessary at the rear pins ... and I hate to even think about doing it.

Tamron 105mm f/2.5 [JOG-25Au]. The Adaptall version CT-105 is pretty famous.

Apart from those non-surprise gems I'd nominate Tamron 135mm f/2.8 [CT-135]. It is a nice little lens and gives good pictures. Tamron SP 28-80mm f/3.5-4.2 [27A] is also quite nice even though colors need a bit tweaking.

J.K.T.'s gear list:J.K.T.'s gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS RP Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow