Multi row panoramas and levelling issues

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
indigoshrine Forum Member • Posts: 80
Multi row panoramas and levelling issues

Hello,

I have recently started getting into panoramas and after getting a pan/tilt pano head I'd also like to try more multi row panoramas. However, on my first attempts in the field, I ran into some serious levelling issues - this might be a very basic question, so please bear with me.

Example below is a 3x3 panel attempt, shot with Sony a7iii + Voigtlander 50mm F2.0. Sorry for the underexposure, these are unedited raws converted to jpg but they are my best examples of the issue I am facing and it should be visible enough.

The first row at the bottom is still fairly level (albeit not perfect). The second row gets worse and the third row (not displayed here) is even more off-level.

I am wondering what I did wrong here.

My steps:

• Level tripod
  • Pan/tilt panohead on top of ballhead also levelled

• In above example, I think I started out with a tilt value of 0° for the bottom row
  • Panned 30° per panel using the pan base on the top, then went back to starting position - this was the only motion while everything else was kept static
  • Tilted up about 20°

• Again, panned 30° per panel for the second row

It seems once I tilt in this setup, I loose the horizontal level - latest when I start panning  using the tilted position. What am I missing? How do I manage to get levelled panels for all rows? I thought the pan/tilt head would exactly make sure of that...

indigoshrine's gear list:indigoshrine's gear list
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow