Really bummed about the XE-4

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 1,662
Really bummed about the XE-4

After toying with several brands/cameras ranging from the X100V (poor video performance), EOS-M6.2 (removeable evf), Various M43 (no usb-c), Sony 6400 (no USB-C), XPro3 (15 minute video record time) I finally landed on the Sony A7C because it literally had EVERYTHING I wanted EXCEPT that it had the Fully Articulating screen. I prefer the screen to stay in the back of the camera as I almost never take selfies and when I do a flip up screen will suffice.

I heard that the XE-4 was NOT coming. That the XE-3 would be the last of the genre, and even looked at the XF-10, but it didn't have USB-C. So approximately 4 months AFTER I get the Sony A7C, they come out with the XE-4, and man am I BUMMED. It is literally the camera I have building in my head over the last three years.

Here are the subtle but important things that make this camera perfect:

1. The bar soap RF styling. I don't need grips and I want a flat camera. X100-V confirmed that this format is what I prefer.

2. Proper modern ports (why every camera isn't released with USB-C is beyond me) and the fact that it can convert to a headphone jack is pretty slick.

3. Neck strap lugs are flat, not jabbing. Learned to appreciate this with the EOS-M6.2

4. The tilt up screen that allows for selfies (again EOS-M6.2)

5. 30 minute video record times. (Need to test the overheating)

6. IC lenses

7. Small Fuji flash EF-X8 (Just need an adjustable fill flash 90% of the time)

8. Longer battery life.

9. The inexpensive manual focus lenses (didn't think I would miss these from m43, but they are a lot of fun).
10. Image Bracketing (bw, vivid, and neutral) lets me stay in jpeg with a minimum amount of editing.
The only things on the wish list missing are weather proofing, IBIS and MAYBE overheating will be an issue. But with OIS lenses I won't miss IBIS, and I have never lost a camera to rain.
I am REALLY BUMMED this didn't come out sooner!

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow