i am impressed

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 2,826
i am impressed

To go back to the start of my journey with mft...I was using Nikon APS and wanted a lens for my next 'safari' to the US national parks. In i strolled to the local camera shop to try out the Sigma 150-600mm. Like a Victorian novel once you've put it down you'll never pick it up again. I had seen folk wandering around with these and similar or larger lenses but I had no idea how unweildy they were. As I handed it back to the sales guty he pointed me to Oly and Pana cameras and the 75-300 & 100-300. I was blown away

Went away did my research and walked back in a week later to buy an Oly OMD EM 1 ii. I have been trotting around with this since

As I got more and more into photography I realised that the Pana 100-300 just wasn't long enough or quite good enough with AF. Fine but I wanted something more. I practiced fixing the zoom at 300 to see if I could cope with the new Oly 300mm. No, just not good enough...me not the focal length. Thought about the 150-400 but really, I am not a pro...

So the Olympus 100-400mm f/5-6.3 IS M.Zuiko Digital ED arrived a couple of weeks ago but I am still waiting on the 1.4 TC

It's heavy for an mft but still fine for a walk around the local woodlands, with a wristrap and the hanging on to the tripod collar. Certainly portable

The zoom is very smooth and easy. As the lens is somewhat fatter than any other mft that takes a bit of getting used to. The balance seems absolutely spot on with the Oly body

Not sure I have masteerd getting the focussing right but when I do it produces lovely crisp images with a nice creamy background

I have been up to 1600 ISO to get enough SS and there seems to be more noise than other lenses at this range but Topaz seems to do a pretty good job

It's pretty unforgiving if the SS is not up and your at 400mm. Not surprising really. I have taken to finding leaning positions

More than happy with my purchase and would buy again in an instant

A few images

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +12 more
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS
Lens • Micro Four Thirds
Announced: Aug 4, 2020
softmarmotte's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow