Haze around edge of lens front element

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nickap New Member • Posts: 13
Haze around edge of lens front element

So, I'm not quite a beginner but I'm far from a pro, and since this is a question about lenses (about which I'm definitely not an expert), I thought this might be the best forum to post this.

I got a pretty cool lens basically for free, when I picked up a box of assorted old cameras and parts at a tag sale for $30. There is a bunch of stuff in there that I will probably sell, and I should have no problem getting $100+ for it all - but I am keeping this lens. It is a Konica Hexanon AR 40mm F1.8, which was attached to a Konica FP-1 body. Just one problem - the lens had pretty bad haze on the inside of the front element. I took it apart and cleaned the individual element lenses as best I could, and was able to improve it a lot (see before/after photos below), but there is still haze around the edge of that very outer lens that I haven't (yet) been able to get off. I haven't given up entirely yet, but I have to consider the possibility that I may be stuck with it.

So my question is, how major of an effect is haze around the edge of the front element outer lens to have on the quality of photos taken with this lens? I'll do some tests of course, once I have the adapter I just ordered to attach it to my Olympus OM-D E-M10 MkIII - but it would be good to know whether I'm likely to run into major problems with the amount of haze I have at this point.

Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow