Expose for shadows/highlights

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,424
Re: gray cards and incident readings

brandon77 wrote:

Overrank wrote:

You just need to put the incident meter in the light that the subject is in (dome pointing back to the camera).

So if I’m taking a picture of a ten acre field with a hedge at the back, the sun is behind me, the field in front of me, and my subject is the field, then I can hold the incident meter in front of me at arms length and take a reading (with the dome pointing to me) and it’ll be OK. But if my subject was in the shadows under the hedge I’d have to walk across the field and take a meter reading under the hedge. (Or more likely I’d take a meter reading at arms length and add three stops )

In the shot posted you’d just hold the meter in front of the model and point the dome back to where the camera will be.

This is a little different than the other people say expose in the shadows, not whole subject. The shadows seemed to make more sense, as if it’s in front of the person and there are highlights they will likely also increase

if the shadows are the subject then you would expose for the shadows.  If the shadows aren’t the subject then expose for the subject.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow