Essaouira, Morocco 2018

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,812
Re: Essaouira, Morocco 2018

jkjond wrote:

kaphinga wrote:

jkjond wrote:

One of my fave photographic genres which is much overlooked. Maximalism.

Glad you posted in this forum because I never would have seen it in the B&W forum. It's a fabulous image.

Your comment about Maximalism made me think about an article I read on Ming Thein's website a few years ago. He talked about concept called Wimmelbild, which he describes as "the concept of ‘teeming pictures’ – or a composition that is extremely full of detail and sub-scenes within the main composition." You are not pushing it as far as he does, but you still might find it an interesting read: https://blog.mingthein.com/2016/06/24/wimmelbild-im-fotografie/

I've had a good look through Ming's site, he's a talented chap. I was flicking through thinking he's a good allrounder, but what's his speciality, then saw his rock solid studio work. Of all his work, i'd say his wimmelbild collection is his weakest, I was a bit disappointed with the article. Then again, he'd set his standards so high as I looked through his entire portfolio before reading it. Worth reading and the responses are good.

Thanks again for the link, well worth seeing.

Indeed an interesting link. I like the idea of Wimmelbild, and maybe what he shows is not the best of the kind, but it is something to look into. But more importantly, I think what he and Gursky are doing is only partially related to your concept. Two striking differences. Their subjects are mostly man-made [inanimate], yours is about people [and an essential seagull]. Secondly you do not try to have sub-scenes everywhere, but the 'empty' areas give a sense of place.

All in all a great image and a very interesting discussion

-- hide signature --

Helmers, Helmers, Helmers & Kinker
Attorneys at lost causes. Also forgettable poetry

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow